We now have a place to live! Microsoft provides 3 months of temporary housing to help us settle in until we find a more permanent place.
After doing a ton of research and talking with friends who lived in various arrondissements, I had my heart set on Saint-Germain or the Latin Quarter. These are lively neighborhoods in the center of Paris (yet quieter than Le Marais) rich with museums, markets, and cafes. I also wanted to be left bank slightly closer to the office. My criterion:
- Furnished (we’re packing minimally and leaving all furniture behind)
- Walking distance to metro (specifically the trains to work)
- High floor with lift (since most apartments are in older buildings, elevators are actually rare. walking up 5+ flights of stairs with groceries in heels is a deal-breaker for me)
- Natural lighting (this made all the difference in my current home happiness)
- Close to shops and restaurants open late so it feels safe
Our agent found us a 6th floor flat with a nice patio in the Latin Quarter- it’s tiny but exactly where we wanted to be. Here’s my long commute for our first 3 months. Hopefully worth it to be in the center of Paris!